Taking this course will help you to develop your understanding of what community organising is, how we do community organising and why we do it. You will look at some of the thinking and history behind community organising, and gain support to develop your knowledge and skills.
Is this course right for me?
The Award in Community Organising is for people aged 14 and over (Level 2) or 16 and over (Level 3) who want to improve on what they already know about community organising and apply knowledge to their practice. The course is for people who enjoy learning and who want a mix of theory, reflection and skills. It is aimed at those who are already working towards a stronger community and / or social justice. This might include people who:
- are active in groups in their own community
- work with people and communities in different sectors (e.g. health, local authority, education)
- do community work
- have a job that needs them to learn community organising
- already have practical experience and want formal recognition
If you aren’t sure whether or not this is the right course for you, please get in touch with us for a chat (see below for how to contact us). We will be happy to help.
What will I get out of doing the course?
- You will understand the ‘principles and practices’ of community organising (what community organising is, how we do community organising, and why we do it).
- You will learn about the important ideas and thinking behind community organising and how community organising started.
- You will learn about the different places and situations where community organising happens, and the reasons why it might happen.
- You will improve your community organising skills in listening, reaching out, connecting people and motivating people to action.
- You will have the opportunity to achieve an Award in Community Organising (a nationally recognised Qualification).
- After doing this course you may decide to progress to similar or higher-level Qualifications that interest you, including the Certa Level 2/3 Certificate in Community Organising.
Loved it! I really enjoyed the learning and listening to other people's perspectives. I can use this in all aspects of my life. Thank you!
How is the course structured?
The course is delivered over 11 taught online sessions that are 3 hours each, plus a final 2 hour session as a reflection on the whole course. There are 11 short assignments to complete, as well as additonal reading and personal study time. Learners also gain access to our Moodle e-learning system, where they can access relevent reading, videos and other learning materials. All assignments are submitted through our Moodle system.
How much does it cost?
The Award in Community Organising at either Level 2 or Level 3 costs £650 per person. As it is certified education, we are not required to charge VAT.
I am interested, how can I find out more?
We deliver the course on a regular basis, so do get in touch to find out when the next course is due to run. If you would like to know more about what the Certa Award in Community Organising involves, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.