The purpose of the course is to support participants to develop an understanding of the values, principles and processes of community organising along with an introduction to some of the underlying theories which inform community organising practice and to be able to put these principles into practice.
Is this course right for me?
Community Organising: From Theory to Practice is for people aged 16 and over. The course provides the knowledge required to activate communities through listening in order to build community power, tackle injustice and effect change through action. People undertaking the course need to develop their skills through practice and reflection and self-study and to complete a series of assignments. There are 9 Course Units worth 23 or 24 credits. Units include
- Analysing Power and Influence in Community Organising
- Reflective Practice
- Interaction Skills with Individuals
- Community Organising with Groups of People
- Understanding and Affecting Decision Making Processes
If you have already completed a Certa Award in Community Organising you can progress onto the Certificate and will have already have completed the first three units.
If you aren’t sure whether or not this is the right course for you, please get in touch with us for a chat (see below for how to contact us). We will be happy to help.
What will I get out of doing the course?
- You will understand the ‘principles and practice’ of community organising (what community organising is, how we do community organising, and why we do it)
- You will learn about the ideas and thinking behind community organising and how community organising started
- You will learn about the different places and situations where community organising happens, and the reasons why it might happen
- You will improve your community organising skills in listening, building power and organising action for social change.
- You will gain confidence in your community organising practice and understand more about the theory behind it
- You will gain strategies for overcoming challenges in community organising
- You will have the opportunity to achieve a Certa Level 2 or 3 Certificate in Community Organising (a nationally recognised Qualification)
A great group of people and fantastic skills to develop and beautifully facilitated = superb course!
Where can I do the course?
A number of Social Action Hubs are planning to run the course and have free places available. We can also run the course as an in-house course within your organisation or workplace although there is likely to be a cost.
I am interested, how can I find out more?
If you would like to know more about what the Certa Level 2/3 Certificate in Community Organising involves, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.