Taking this course will help you to develop your understanding of what community organising is, how we do community organising and why we do it. You will look at the thinking and history behind community organising, and gain support to develop your knowledge and skills.
Is this course right for me?
The Award in Community Organising is for people aged 16 and over who want to improve on what they already know about community organising and apply knowledge to their practice. The course is for people who enjoy learning and who want a mix of theory, reflection and skills. It is aimed at those who are already working towards a stronger community and / or social justice. This might include people who:
- are active in groups in their own community
- work with people and communities in different sectors (e.g. health, local authority, education)
- do community work
- have a job that needs them to learn community organising
- already have practical experience and want formal recognition
If you aren’t sure whether or not this is the right course for you, please get in touch with us for a chat (see below for how to contact us). We will be happy to help.
What will I get out of doing the course?
- You will understand the ‘principles and practices’ of community organising (what community organising is, how we do community organising, and why we do it).
- You will learn about the important ideas and thinking behind community organising and how community organising started.
- You will learn about the different places and situations where community organising happens, and the reasons why it might happen.
- You will improve your community organising skills in listening, reaching out, connecting people and motivating people to action.
- You will have the opportunity to achieve an Award in Community Organising (a nationally recognised Qualification).
Thank you so much for your kind support, training and guidance. It has been a journey and I really enjoyed it, learnt a lot and met amazing people. The course was intensive and took discipline and patience, as I had to incorporate it with my full time job. But I did it and it was all worth it!
How is the course structured?
The course is delivered over 12 taught online sessions that are 3 hours each. There are 11 short theory assignments to complete as well as a practical observation of your listening skills. Learners will gain access to our Moodle e-learning system, where they can access relevent reading, videos and other learning materials. All assignments are submitted through our Moodle system.
I am interested, how can I find out more?
We deliver the course on a regular basis, so do get in touch to find out when the next course is due to run. If you would like to know more about what the Award in Community Organising involves, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.