This training is aimed at anyone that cares about their local area and planning for its future. It introduces the basics of community organising and how to mobilise a community around a vision for positive development which meets the needs of the community, such as affordable housing.
It is not a course on how to write a neighbourhood plan, but is relevant for neighbourhood planning groups at all stages and for anyone that wants to influence land use and development to meet the needs of their community in a way which supports social justice and sustainability.
Community organising can be used to engage people in a planning process or bring about a community-led housing scheme or neighbourhood plan, ensuring that all voices are heard and there is genuine community ownership.
Knowledgeable, passionate, and positive – community organising can clearly make a big difference
During this workshop you will:
- Gain an understand of community organising
- Explore how to use a community organising approach to mobilise a community for positive change or development
- Learn to reach out, listen and build (consensus for) a vision for the future of your community
- Analyse where power lies in planning, development and the housing system and who to influence
- Explore how to to build the power you need for community led development
- Plan tactics for action to get the development your community needs
The course lasts for 6 hours and is usually run on one day but can be split across two days. Like all of our training, it is both challenging and enjoyable. It is designed so that everybody can take part and share their ideas and experiences and learn some practical tools and skills.
Providing high quality and enjoyable learning experiences is very important to us. Our trainers are quality assured and experienced in community organising, and our courses are approved as quality training by Certa/ABC Awards and Continuing Professional Development
Provoking you to think outside the box